It’s getting cold outside, but that doesn’t mean your skin has to suffer.
Winter weather can create a variety of skin problems. Dry air dehydrates skin, leading to itching and flaking. The cold temperatures and strong winds lead to a compromised barrier on the skin, which can leave your skin feeling raw. Attempting to over moisturize with the wrong products can cause acne, dull complexion and a variety of other skin imperfections.
That being said, winter isn’t a time you should fear your skin. At AFYA Skin and Body Clinic, we have just the tools to keep you glowing, even in the dark days of winter.
Here are 7 helpful tips for winter skin:
- Use the proper skin cleanser with lukewarm water. Hot water may feel great on the skin, but it can leave the skin stripped of hydration and of its natural oils. Using a cleanser like the SkinCeuticals Gentle Cleanser can provide a deep clean without the harsh after effects of other cleansers.
- Add in a hydration serum. Serums are meant to be applied before your moisturizer and can target your major skin concerns. In the winter, use a serum that contains hyaluronic acid. This molecule retains one thousand times its own weight in water and will give your skin some much needed hydration. SkinCeuticals HydraGel B5 is a great option.
- Choose the correct moisturizer. Every person’s skin is unique and requires a specific combination of ingredients to achieve hydration in the winter. Ceramides, fatty acids and cholesterol are some of the fastest-acting and most effective ingredients to protect the skin’s natural barrier and to help prevent premature aging of the skin. The SkinCeuticals Triple Lipid Cream contains 2% pure ceramides, 4% natural cholesterol, and 2% fatty acids to ensure the best combination of protective ingredients.
- Exfoliate your skin. We often forget to exfoliate the skin in the winter. Dead skin can build up and make it difficult for your serums and moisturizers to do their best work. Using harsh exfoliators can be dehydrating, so we recommend products that use urea. This ingredient will help with the natural exfoliation of dead skin, all the while increasing the hydration level in the skin. SkinCeuticals Retexturing Activator is a nighttime serum that uses urea and hyaluronic acid for exfoliating and hydrating simultaneously.
- Humidify your bedroom. Indoor heating can wreak havoc on your skin’s hydration level. Using a bedroom humidifier at nighttime will help combat skin dehydration.
- Consume more water. We tend to drink less water in the winter, so it is a good reminder to add in a couple extra glasses a day. Also make sure to consume foods with higher water content, such as tropical fruits, lettuces and coloured peppers.
- Have a hydration facial. Book yourself for some much needed relaxation time and hydrate your skin for a glowing complexion. In fact, from now until March 31st, you can enjoy your first hydration facial free at AFYA Skin and Body Clinic.
© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.