Cellulite is the term used for the formation of dimples, lumps and bumps that we experience in the skin. It is often located on different areas of the body, such as the thighs, the stomach and the upper arms. It is estimated that 80% to 90% of women experience cellulite during some point in their lives. The exact cause of cellulite is still unknown; however, age, hormone levels and genetics could play roles in its formation.
The good news is diminishing cellulite can be difficult but not impossible!
Here are five suggestions:
- Dry Brushing: A good, daily dry brushing before showering goes a long way to aid in detoxification and can flush out excess fluid that makes cellulite look worse.
- Creams: While cellulite creams won’t completely remove cellulite, they can diminish it by increasing circulation, tightening skin and detoxifying the body. Look for the following ingredients: caffeine, retinol, vitamin C, L-carnitine and peptides.
- Dietary Changes: Eating a diet full of vegetables and non-processed foods is the best way to keep extra fluid from building up under the skin. It will also help maintain the elasticity in your skin.
- Non-Invasive Laser Clinic Treatments: There are many types of cellulite reduction treatments. Most treatments, up until recently, deal with one or two of the three aspects of cellulite. Thankfully, we now have the first solution that deals with all of the causes of cellulite. The treatment is called BodyFX, and it does the following:
- Permanently destroys the fat lying beneath the skin (those pesky lumps and bumps)
- Tightens skin tissue by increasing collagen production using RF technology
- Stretches out the fibres that are pulling on the skin (the dimpling effect) using heat and suction.
This fully comprehensive treatment can aid in diminishing even the most stubborn cellulite!
- Surgery: Treatments such as laser-assisted liposuction with subcision can be used to break up the fibers sitting under the skin tissue and smooth the look of the cellulite. The drawback of this treatment is that in some cases it can make cellulite unexpectedly worse.
With summer fast approaching, it is a good idea to start on any at-home or clinical treatments during spring. For more information on non-invasive laser treatments, dry brushing, or take-home cream options, book a complimentary consultation at AFYA Skin and Body Clinic by visiting AFYASkinandBody.com or by calling 519-803-7435.
© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.